Things I learned from my granddaughter…

We had our granddaughter (age 7) stay with us this week. I realized quickly that all the angst that goes with parenting disappears with grandparenting. Things like dishes to wash can be put off until later. Reading a book together before a chore gets done is o.k. Wearing chocolate from an ice cream cone on your face won’t permanently damage your pores. Things don’t always have to be done on precise schedule; flexibility is always a an option.  Here are a few of the other things I learned:

• Play now, there’s time to do whatever tomorrow.
  • Don’t sit at the side of the pool – Dive In, Swim, Enjoy.
  • Fun doesn’t have to be expensive. Laughter is priceless.
  • It’s o.k. to treat yourself. Buy an ice cream treat from the corner store and eat it BEFORE dinner.
  • See the world through a child’s eyes and take joy in the little things.
  • Indulge in small pleasures every single day.
  • Laugh until your sides hurt, then laugh some more.
  • Body noises are actually funny.
  • Eat potato chips instead of salad and pretend they’re a vegetable.
  • It’s o.k. to dance around naked and sing after you come out of the bathtub.
  • Be proud of everything you do. A pictured colored outside the lines can still be beautiful.
  • Children grow up far too fast. Make the most of your time together.

What things have you learned from a child?

12 thoughts on “Things I learned from my granddaughter…

1. mary ann June 9, 2011 / 3:35 am

Children definitely grow up too fast. Thank goodness for grandkids – lucky you. And thanks for the chocolate in abstentia! Have fun in Montreal. Let’s plan that market trip for July. xo

2. Joni Beach June 9, 2011 / 3:47 am

All I can say is that everyone I ever heard talk about the “joys of being a grandparent” were absolutely right! Grandchildren truly are a reminder of the newness of life and living! What a great lesson… My Best, joni

3. Doreen Pendgracs June 9, 2011 / 4:36 am

Hi Suzanne: Great post!

I don’t have any children or grandchildren, but surprisingly, I learned that same youthful spirit from my Godmother, who was also my aunt and my mother’s closest sister. My mother died when I was very young, so Auntie Florence took over as my motherly influence, and did a great job in teaching me how to live for the moment. She and I had great fun together all through the years (until she died at age 94.)

No surprise … her motto was “ENJOY!” And I do.

4. cooperstownersincanada June 9, 2011 / 5:03 am

Great piece, Suzanne. I’m glad you get such joy from your grand-daughter. I don’t have kids, but I’m the uncle of three young nephews who are the joys of my life. I’ve adopted my life’s mantra from them – Enjoy every popsicle.

5. kkrige June 9, 2011 / 8:10 am

What a sweet post Suzanne. I am not ready to make the jump to Grandma just yet, but this is a great reminder to enjoy today now.

6. Christine Peets June 9, 2011 / 9:38 am

This is awesome, Suzanne. Children have a lot to teach us, and if we’re smart, we listen and learn. I saw that this week at my cousin’s funeral–especially from his son’s friends. They were casual and supportive–and hugging each other all of the time with laughter, not tears. They showed us that death is part of life, and life is good. The funniest moment came on Monday afternoon when one of the kids “discovered” the casket and called out for all to hear, “Hey, the body’s in here.” Needless to say, any adults within earshot had a moment of much-needed laughter, and that story got shared for two days.

7. Judy Liebner June 10, 2011 / 9:49 am

Great blog, Suzanne! You’ve captured the essence of why it’s so important to live each day to the fullest and not let simple pleasures go unappreciated. We can learn so much from children and pets.

8. Diane Ferland July 11, 2011 / 1:19 am

My two grandchildren (5 and 7) just went home after spending a week with us. What fun we had! We did all kinds of things together that my husband and I don’t ever get to do. We too were kids again.

9. Sheilagh Lee August 5, 2011 / 2:30 am

I don’t have any grandchildren yet …I’m hopeful but not one of those pushy mom’s that asks is there one on the way yet? I look forward to the day hopefully when I can do just this.some of my best memories are days with my grandmothers, sounds like you are making those kind of memories with yours.

10. Gary Davies September 3, 2011 / 12:12 pm

I had an adventurous and incredibly dangerous childhood. Almost all of my “toys” would be considered inappropriate for a child today: pellet gun, hunting knife, bow and arrows (real ones) fire crackers, several pea shooters and a kick ass sling shot. Life was great until high school where I was rewarded for not thinking or expressing my own ideas.